Saturday 22 April 2017

REVIEW; #Nerd (Hashtag #1), by Cambria Hebert


Rating: 
Genre: Young-Adult, Romance

Recommend: Yes

Book 1

SPOILERS 

Summary:

Rimmel is solely focused on her studies to ensure she keeps her scholarship. Considered a nerd, she keeps to herself and hides beneath baggy and frumpy clothes. Roman is the star football player but with slipping grades, is looking at losing his spot and his college dreams. 
Until Rimmel is set as his tutor and Roman soon faces a dare for initiation involving wooing Rimmel and obtaining photographic evidence. But as time goes on, the two opposites form an unlikely bond and friendship, as the drama ensues. 

My Thoughts:

This book was on my wishlist for ages, and I regret not reading it sooner. This is definitely a YA novel and I would say totally unsuitable for NA. However, I will try to review it by my younger self and rate it as it is. 

Plot: The plot is totally cliché and predictable; a popular hot jock falling for the nerdy girl that everyone looks down on and bullies. The whole hashtag aspect had an ounce of Gossip Girl to it, with the secrets of campus being revealed on social media, making life hell for those reported on. Although it sort of worked to bring the typical story into modern days. 

Rimmel: I really warmed to her. She wasn't the typical underrated heroine that can easily exist in these type of novels. She didn't fawn over Roman at first glance and stuck to her morals at all costs and stayed strong. I was totally rooting for her! I think a lot of readers will relate to Rimmel. I especially connected with her feeling of not belonging and finding solace with animals. She was a gem. 

Roman: I feel he is a huge reason as to why this is a 3 star read. I struggle to find novels depicting a teenage boy as teenage boy and not have traces of the female mind interwoven in his actions. He has internal struggles which made me slightly warm to him, but overall, I didn't like him that much. I feel like he switched over from his notorious player persona to the sweet dutiful boyfriend too quickly and I just didn't fall for him. 

Overall:

This is a sweet and cute young adult read. It's a safe comfortable story with some drama and although predictable and cliché, would still recommend for those who love a good love story between two from the opposite sides of the track. 


No comments:

Post a Comment